Engaging oneself in arts and crafts is a healthy habit – it is a hobby that everyone must take up. If you don’t have anything to do, feel like you are bored, or just want to spend some quality time without friends and family – you can always rely on some cool DIY projects and good arts and craft ideas.
However, most people think arts and crafts are just for kids and do not engage in them as they grow up. But that is just not true. Arts and crafts are just as fun for adults as it is for kids. In fact, it is that one time you, as an adult, can bond with a kid and have fun. To be honest, there is an age limit to art, and you must not stop yourself.
Hence, if you are looking for a new hobby, want to polish your skills, or just want to spend some time having fun doing DIY projects – here are 2 super fun and good arts and craft ideas for you!
2 Good Arts and Craft Ideas
Wind Chimes Using Keys
Do you have a wind chime at your house? Wind chimes are often used as decoration pieces; people place them on the windows or their front doors, where they make a pleasing and crisp sound whenever the wind hits them.
Earlier, it was believed that wind chimes scared away spirits at night and stopped them from entering the house. However, these are only myths and in the present day they are only used for decoration purposes, or for the rhythmic sound they make. If you don’t already have a wind chime at your place, this is your chance to make one yourself! Don’t know how to? Let us help you.
Things you will need:
- Strings and threads
- Stick or plastic clothes hanger
- Old keys
- Paints and brushes
- Charms (if you have)
How to Make it:
- Step 1: Take a bunch of old keys that you don’t use anymore and paint them in multiple colors. You can also paint them in one color – but we like it colorful, so we painted each with a bright color. You can use acrylic paints, and make sure to use both sides. Leave them to dry from one side, then paint the other side.
- Step 2: While the paint on the keys is drying, take a thin stick or branch of a tree and paint it how you like it. You can make patterns on it or paint it one solid color – it’s totally up to you.
- Step 3: In replacement of the stick, you can also use a plastic clothing hanger, but you will have to cut the bottom stick. Use a hot knife to cut the plastic – this can be dangerous; try to do it with care. You can paint the hanger how you like it as well.
- Step 4: Once the paint has dried, take some string or thick thread. Cut different pieces of string in one length (about 10- to 12 inches each).
- Step 5: All keys have a hole at the top for the keychain to fit. Put the string, or the piece of thread, in this hole and tie a tight knot. Repeat this with all the keys.
- Step 6: Now, take the other end of the string and tie it to the stick. Tie each key to the stick one by one – make sure it’s tight, and all the keys are hanging at a good distance from the stick. You can also hang some charms with the keys if you like.
- Step 7: Now, your wind chime is almost ready. Just take another piece of string, tie it with the stick and make a loop on the other end. You can use this loop to tie the wind charm anywhere you like – and well, you are done! Nice and simple right?
DIY Cardboard Cutout
We have all seen cardboard cutouts in supermarkets and in malls, and we have all wanted one of our favorite celebrities in our house as well. Some people even like getting their own cardboard cutout made so they can display it in their room.
If you also want a cardboard cutout of yourself, or of your favorite celebrity but don’t want to buy one – we can help you make one yourself from scratch. It is super easy and won’t cost you a lot as well. Well, let’s get to it.
Things you will need:
- A large piece of cardboard
- A high-resolution picture you want to use
- Scissors and glue
- Utility knife
- Duct tape
- A stand
How to Make it
- Step 1: Look for the picture you want to use and make a cardboard cutout. If you want one of yourself, you need a full-length picture. If you are making one of a celebrity, you can find any full-length picture of them on the internet.
- Step 2: Take a printout for the picture you want to use. Enlarge the picture on a photo editor using your computer till the dimensions match a lifesize cutout. You can either go to a nearby shop to get a panaflex printout using a large scale printer. Or you can divide your picture into multiple pieces and take out separate printouts of them – kind of like puzzle pieces.
- Step 3: Now, place the image on the large cardboard sheet. If you took multiple printouts of the picture, you have to do an additional step which is to piece the picture together on the cardboard sheet.
- Step 4: Once you have made the picture cover the cardboard sheet, glue the printout on the cardboard sheet. Make sure you do not put a lot of glue as it can tear the paper. Now, leave it for an hour or so to let it dry. Press the entire picture with a piece of cloth to get rid of any air bubbles that might crease your picture on the cardboard.
- Step 5: Once it is dried out, cut the excess cardboard. Cut it around the shape of the picture, and you will have a perfect cardboard cutout. You can cut by issuing a scissor or a utility – it depends on how well you can use the equipment. We prefer the scissors because they are safer.
- Step 6: Once you are done cutting the cardboard sheet, you can see that your cardboard cutout is ready. Now take duct tape and wrap the entire backside of the cardboard with duct tape. This hardens the cardboard sheet, protects it against any damage, and makes it sturdier.
- Step 7: Once the tape has dried, your cardboard cutout is ready! Use a stand to place the cardboard cutout on it, or you can DIY it as well. Use a smaller piece of cardboard – add 3-4 layers on it and wrap duct tape around it to make it thick and hard. Place it to the bottom of the cardboard cutout in a slant so that it can hold the cutout vertically. And voila, you are done!
Try these Art and Craft Ideas!
Weren’t these super easy and fun to make? Next time you feel like you don’t have much to do or just find yourself in search of some activities – gather your friends, kids, or younger siblings and get to work with these super easy, fun, and good art and craft ideas!